Monday, May 24, 2010

Seriously Low Fat Brownies!!!!

Its been a hectic summer with kids at home and having a busy time at work too. I had in fact looked forward to more free time for cooking, baking and blogging as I would have not homework and school assignments to deal with. Boy!! How wrong I was!! All I have been talking about to anybody and everybody who cares to listen is how much I am looking forward to the school reopening. My days would then start early, but would be so much more sane:-)) The joys of being a work from- home-Mom!!

I have been cooking and baking as always but have not really been able to sit down and post them as often as I like to. I have put in a few hurried posts, pics taken in a hurry before the food in question gets polished off by kids. This is one of the recipes from Sanjeev kapoor I have tried form the same book, "Simply Stylish Entertaining at Home'. The name of the recipe actually is "Very Low Fat Brownies' and I was so tempted to try this out as it is really, seriously low fat and super quick and easy to put together.

I made this on the spur of the moment when I had to go to my parents place. The picture was taken in a hurry(isn't that obvious??) before they went into the box. The brownies were tasty and loved by all. A fab treat for the sweet tooth sans the sinful calories, particularly so when teamed with low fat ice cream or low fat chocolate sauce. The recipe for the sauce soon follows...

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons Cocoa powder
1/2 cup wholewheat flour
1/2 cup plain flour(maida)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda bicarbonate
1 cup caster sugar( I used powdered sugar)
1/2 cup milk
2 egg whites, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
Method: Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour an eight - inch square cake tin and line with butter paper.
Sift the cocoa powder, wholewheat flour, refined flour, baking powder and soda bi carb into a bowl.
Stir in the caster sugar, then beat in the milk, egg whites, vanilla essence and oil until thoroughly combined. Pour in to the prepared tin. Bake for about 25 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Leave in the tin until completely cooled. Cut into sixteen squares, remove from the tin.

I have used wheat flour for the first time in a cake and I was so glad there was no perceptible difference in the taste due to it. Will make a great healthy snack box treat for kids. With school re-opening just around the corner, I can see these brownies making their way into my kids' box every now and then!!

The brownie is being sent off to Divya's 3rd Blog Anniversary Event!