Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Me eat kooky, om nom nom nom



I have been meaning to visit Sunday Upmarket again for months. First it was to try the wares of the delightful Miss Molly Bakes, and more recently, now she's taken a break to provide cupcake pops to the good shoppers of Selfridges, to try Kooky Bakes baked goods. In particular the Snickers Slice, which I've been lusting after for some time via Facebook!

How yum does the Snicker Slice look?

Drooool

Nearly as good as it tasted.

It was fabulous! A fudgy brownie with peanut butter cake topped with salted caramel buttercream (this was DIVINE and I'm not fond of salted caramel!) topped with a thin chocolate on top. One of the nicest cakes I've eaten - ever! Oh and I shared it with Manny as I'm a nice girl.

We shared some more of Kooky's goodies - including the glorious technicoloured Krazy Kid slice - Fruit Loop cereal made into a gooey marshmallow'y Rice Crispie style treat. I really liked this - nice and chewy and perfect with a cup of tea!

Goooooey goodness

Then came Manny's S'mores slice. Yes it was Manny's. We shared the rest of our Kooky haul but when it came to this one I got a wee sliver to taste and he scarfed the rest! Tsk. This was definitely his favourite. The moist chocolate brownie, covered in sticky marshmallows with digestive crumbs brings together all of the S'mores elements in a gooey, sticky bundle of joy. And it kept him quiet for five minutes- well apart from the usual "hhhmmm hmmmm hmmm"ing that accompanies him enjoying something chocolatey!

Next up was my second favourite - the pina colada whoopie pie. This was gorgeous to look at, and to eat! The filling on the whoopie pie was one of the nicest I have tasted - it was like a mousse buttercream - light, fluffy and melt in your mouth - oh and very, very tasty.

Squished but still yum!

Last, but not least, our only cupcake of this visit, a rather squished black forest gateaux cupcake. It wasn't squished when we got it but I had a bit of a blonde moment with the bag on the way home and it ended up a wee bit mis-shapen. This didn't affect the taste though - moist chocolate cake, with a cherry kirsch filling, covered in delicious vanilla buttercream. Again the buttercream was gorgeous. Manny scoffed the cherry too - sod.

I highly recommend a visit to UpMarket to buy some Kooky goodies, and say hi to Scott (Mr Kooky) as he must spend hours in the kitchen creating these fabulous treats. Well I know he spends hours as I'm forever drooling over his Twitter and Facebook updates.

You can find Kooky Bakes at Sunday UpMarket at the Old Truman Brewery just off Brick Lane. They're at the back entrance/exit off the indoor market bit.