Friday, December 10, 2010

Super Bars

With my busy schedule, even though I try and eat breakfast every morning, there's some mornings that just doesn't happen. If I can't grab it and eat it on the go, then I usually just go without eating. Anytime I can find a quick-to-make, easy-to-grab healthy recipe for a breakfast treat, I'm all about it.*

These awesome granola bars were posted over at Domestic Affair, which is a great blog if you're looking for a wealth of info and recipes on whole foods and holistic nutrition. As soon as I saw this recipe, I immediately began making a list of what I needed from the grocery store. I've changed the recipe a bit, replacing the oil with applesauce and I added some silken tofu for protein.

I was really amazed at how this "very healthy for you" recipe was so tasty. It's perfect for breakfast, or anytime you're looking for a not-too-sweet snack. I also love that it's loaded with whole grains. The recipe is also flexible enough that you can use whatever grains/fruits/seasonings you want, depending on your mood. A bonus - these freeze well, so you can always have them on hand.

Super Bars

Super Bars
3 cups Bob's 7-grain Rolled Oat Mix
1 cup water
1/4 c flax seeds, partially ground (coffee grinder works great)
2 tbsp amaranth
1/2 c oat bran
1/2 whole wheat flour
3/4 c dried fruit (I used a tropical mix with mango, apricot, etc.)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp sea salt
2/3 c pure maple syrup
1/2 c apple sauce (I used an organic apple apricot sauce)
5 oz silken tofu
zest of 2 lemons

Preheat oven to 350. Spread the oats out on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven, stirring occasionally until toasted, about 20 minutes. At the same time, heat water, flax seeds, and amaranth. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 8 minutes. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl, combine oats and all dry ingredients. In a food processor, process apple sauce and tofu until combined. Add to dry ingredients, along with maple syrup and lemon zest.
Spread in a lightly oiled square baking pan and score into bars. Place into 325 degree oven, and bake 30 minutes until firm to the touch. Cool and then slice. To freeze, individually wrap in foil. Toss into a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes to thaw and enjoy.