Monday, December 13, 2010

Pineapple Curry Hummus

I don't know where it comes from. But sometimes, random combinations of flavors will pop into my head and I'll write them down for later. In my hummus file, I've had "pineapple" and "curry" written down for a long time, but I've been scared to try it. Theoretically, I thought it could possibly work, but I was still scared. Today I conquered that fear. Even walking through the grocery store this morning, picking up ingredients, I was still very apprehensive about how it would all work out together.

Amazingly enough, it's very tasty. The sweetness of the pineapple is just perfect to offset the full-on flavor of the curry powder. It actually reminds me of an Indian dish I've had in the past. This is definitely one hummus recipe you'll have to try to taste how the flavors work together.

Pineapple Curry Hummus

Pineapple Curry Hummus

1 (15.9 oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 c olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp tahini
1 scant tsp curry powder
1/3 c crushed pineapple
salt to taste

Combine beans, oil, lemon juice, tahini, and curry powder in food processor. Process until well blended. Remove, place in medium sized bowl, and stir in pineapple. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or so for flavors to make friends.