Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Low Fat Khoya / Mawa

I have been missing from the blogging scene since almost 2 weeks, no 3 weeks. Whoa!! Has it been so long?? It started with my son's exams, my kids falling sick one after the other and staying at home with me. I know I often sound like Cinderella's step-mom, but having kids at home all day, and sick ones at that can be pretty draining.  And no you don't get any prizes for guessing whose turn it was next to fall sick. I really don't know if I fell sick due to sheer exertion or due to proximity with the cold and fever virus or whatever you call it. Must be the virus something, as Moms are not allowed to fall sick due to exertion, no way!!!! Yeah, I sound wicked again:-)

We also took time to get away on a short vacation to Madikeri, Coorg. I can't belive that just 4 days of being waited upon, can cause such a bad holiday hangover. Next time, I go away on a holiday, along with the freezer, I will also stock up my drafts folder before I leave:-)) Lol!

Wanting to make a low calorie dessert post the holiday binge, I tried making Low Fat Khoya, a Tarla Dalal recipe. It turned out a very good substitute for the regular khoya, a quintessential part of so many Indian sweet preparations. Imagine eating a sweet with a fraction of the calories and fat and with almost the same taste and texture as one made with regular khoya. And real easy to make?? Too good to be true right?? A sure keeper of a recipe, I see myself using this again and again and with less guilt.

Two ingredients are all you need to make this. Told you this is easy-easy. Makes about 1 1/4 cups of Khoya


Skimmed Milk Powder( I have used Nandini) 1 Cup
Water- 2 tablespoons.

Mix the water and the milk powder to make a stiff dough. (It becomes real stiff, mind you!) Roll the dough in a thin cloth and place it in a metal sieve. Bring a pan of water to a boil, reduce the heat. Place the sieve over the water and cover it with a lid. Steam for 15 minutes. Remove from fire. Cool and peel the cloth from the dough. Grate the dough and use as needed.

Please Note: Do not steam it for longer as the khoya may become hard and rubbery.Grate with a small eyed grater to get a finer texture.

I can see wicked thoughts running in your minds, hahaha!! Make this khoya, get creative with your sweets and desserts and sit back for the compliments!!

And yeah, the dessert follows soon!!!!