Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Easy Dhokla Chaat

I bet if you can show me somebody who does not love tongue-tickling chaats. My mouth waters at the thought of chaat and can have it anytime of the day, any day. And  I particularly love the 'dahi' varieties with cool curd topped on the chaat during summers. And its bliss to drown it all with a cold  badam-milk... Yumm!! Its just the thought of all those excessive calories and fat which goes into these delicious snacks that stops me from running to the nearest chaat center and binging on it.

I tried making a relatively low fat and healthier version the 'Dhokla Chaat'. This one is really quick and easy if you have Mint Chutney stored in your fridge. Honestly, I have never made an attempt to make the sweet chutney at home, as I hardly use a few teaspoons of the stuff at a time.  I have used  ready-made Fun Foods Khatti-Meethi Imli chutney, which I find is real good VFM:-)

Surely there are no hard and fast rules for making a chaat.  Most things you fancy can go into the dish, in varying proportions, reasonably of course! Forgive me for not specifying the exact quantities of ingredients except the dhokla mix I used here as I just kept taking and putting the stuff from their bottles as and when my family kept coming in. So please go by your taste when you make this.

Ingredients:
Khaman Dhokla Mix - 1 packet
Mint Chutney - 1/2 cup
Sweet Chutney - 1/2 cup, diluted with some water to adjust consistency
Fresh, thick, fat free yogurt - 1 1/2 to 2 Cups
Roasted Jeera powder - 2 teaspoons
Sugar - 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli powder - 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
Sev for garnish
Chopped Coriander

Procedure: Make the dhokla according to packet instructions. Cool and cut into small cubes. Keep aside till needed. Add salt, sugar and whisk the yogurt, chill till serving time, for at least 2 hours.
Take the required quantity of dhokla cubes in a wide bowl, add some mint and sweet chutney. (I prefer less of mint chutney and more of the sweet one). Toss lightly ensuring the cubes are well coated with the chutney.
Transfer the chutney coated cubes to the serving plate. Top with chilled yogurt, mint chutney, sweet chutney, a sprinkling of roasted jeera powder, chilli powder, sev and coriander. Serve immediately.