Thursday, July 16, 2009

Crowds witness the giant cupcake of Covent Garden







So today was the day the GIANT cupcake finally arrived in London's Covent Garden. I got there about 30mins before the official cutting ceremony and it was already sat there under a canopy with a crowd of rather excited people round it. I popped to get some shopping and when I got back the crowd had grown...people were wandering through the market asking others "have you seen a giant cupcake?" so it wasn't a surprise that so many were excited about it. I got a place to see the cutting ceremony and was happy to see I recognised the person cutting the cake - the girl from Crumbs and Doilies - who later said she read my blog..hello!!

There was a lot of photographers so it was sometimes difficult to get pics as one of them stood on a table taking constant pics - I know its exciting but the cake wasn't going anywhere - once you've got a good pic of it, its time to get off the table and let others take a pic!

The queue for cake was immense, and the heat was getting worse - also I'd seen the slices they were cutting (ie take a tiny slice and then cut it in half, and maybe again!) so decided queuing for an hour for a bit wasn't how I planned to spend my afternoon off and went to Crumbs and Doilies instead! From what Londonist have said I didn't miss much - it must've been warm as it'd been out in the scorching sun for quite some time! And my crumbs and doilies cupcakes were fab as usual! 

I do hope the guy next to me who arrived with a giant spoon in anticipation got his bit of cake!