Monday, April 12, 2010

Mocha Chocolate Gateaux

I am seriously lost when I have to bake a cake for a big group- for more than 10 people that is. That's usually for my kids' birthdays. I don't have an oven big enough to bake a large cake( hope hubby doesn't miss this part of the post:-)), so I end up baking 2 cakes. I first fantasize about 2 cakes, then search for 2 recipes, (some times only one), search for decorating ideas, then bake 2 cakes. Then decorate, make sure the fridge is filled with cake stuff only, sugar syrup, whipping cream, whipped cream. Generally, get all excited and stressed out simultaneously. You bet, my family gives me strange looks when I do not let anyone near the fridge. LOL!  So much for my cake obsession:-))

So as usual, for my son's birthday, I made the Kiddie Helicopter Chocolate Cake and this Mocha Chocolate Gateaux. This one was light chocolate sponge filled and topped with sinful coffee cream. If  I may pat my own back, this was one of my best cakes ever.

This chocolate sponge recipe is from Deeba. I have doubled the quantity which made one medium sized cake and one small one. I am scared of making sponges but this one came out good thankfully. ( Except a thin upper layer which was slightly soft, I sliced it off). The small one became my trial cake as I wanted to see how chocolate sponge tastes with coffee cream before going ahead and making it for the whole party bunch. The test cake was certified by hubby, brother, niece and kids. Then I proceeded with the birthday cake. Here comes the recipe.

Chocolate Sponge
Ingredients:
Eggs -3
Powdered Sugar - 1/2 cup
Flour - 1/2 cup minus 2 tbsps
Cocoa powder- 2 tbspns
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Line a Swiss roll tin with baking parchment, grease it & dust it with flour.( I used a regular round cake tin, about 8 inches)
  • Sift flour and cocoa.
  • Beat eggs with sugar till thick & mousse like, for about 10 minutes. Fold in flour, gently, so that the beaten air is not released.
  • Pour batter into a lined, greased & floured tin. Bake for 35-40 minutes till done; lightly colored.(Takes longer in a regular cake tin, specially if the quantity  is more than the above, so be careful)
  • Turn out to cool on rack, immediately removing the lining.
  • Slice the cake horizontally into 2 slices.
Sugar Syrup( For one cake using 3 eggs, double this quantity if making 2 cakes)
 1 Cup water
 1 1/4 tablespoon powdered sugar(adjust to taste)
  Mix both together and refrigerate till needed.

For the Mocha Cream, I used about
Whipping Cream( I use Rich's) - 2 Cups, makes approximately 4 cups of whipped cream(You could use more or less depending on how generously you want to frost, fill and decorate)
Instant Coffee Powder - 2 teaspoons, more to taste

Chill the whipping cream for at least 10 hours in the fridge. Chill the beaters and the bowl for 2-3 hours at least. Stainless steel works best .Place over a large bowl of ice. Whip first on slow speed for a minute or so and then at medium speed for about 8-10 minutes or till the cream forms soft peaks. Be careful not to over whip.

Place one cake slice on the cake platter and soak well with the syrup using a spoon. (Do not over do this as the cake will become soggy). Use the bottom layer with the parchment for the top of the cake as it will be smooth and gives a neat and flat finish to the cake.
Spread some of the whipping cream evenly using an offset spatula. Place the second layer on the cream and soak with sugar syrup. Frost with the cream. Refrigerate for about an hour or so and allow the cream to set.

For the 'Web design'
1 1/2 tablespoons cream
1 1/2 tablespoons chocolate chips

Boil the cream, take off the heat. Add the chocolate chips, stir well till smooth. Cool and put into a small ziplock bag. Snip a TINY hole. Draw a spiral from the center outwards. Draw a wooden toothpick from the center outwards at a 60 degree angle at equal points on the cake. Next draw the toothpick in the opposite direction. My ganache was a lil runny, otherwise it would have looked better. I have drizzled more ganache from the edge of the cake randomly to let it flow downward. Placed Cadbury Shots in the middle.

This cake tastes best chilled about 24 hours before serving. If you are iffy about the decoration part like me, make the cake up to the frosting the cake stage, chill well, and decorate a couple of hours ahead of serving time. Whew!! That's it!!

The chocolate and coffee is truly a delightful combo, I really loved this cake. If you love cakes, chocolate and coffee this one is a must try!